Common hepatitis E exam questions for medical student finals, OSCEs and MRCP PACES
How does Hepatitis E present?
- Mostly presents as an acute viral infection similar to Hepatitis A (see Hep A)
- Can progress to chronic infection, especially in immunocompromised individuals (solid-organ transplant recipients are particularly at risk)
What is the prognosis of Hepatitis E?
- Usually a self-limiting disease with a good prognosis
- However, it has an overall mortality of 2%
- Pregnant women who contract HEV have a mortality of 20%, especially if infected in the 3rd trimester
Click here for more gastroenterology pages and questions in hepatitis